Why I Want The New 2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14 Camo Color
Posted on February 10 2017
By Ron Strauss, President Of The MN Kayak Fishing Association
When you have passion for a sport, you just got to have the best the sport has to offer
I'm not going to deny it, I like to fish. When I'm not fishing, I think about fishing and fishing products. I watch fishing videos and learn about tactics and products that will improve my fishing results. I hang out with people online and in the real world that like to fish (you know who you are). Most of my time and efforts are dedicated to kayak fishing in particular, cause I kind of like it...A LOT!
The sport has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 4 years. Keeping up with what's new and hot is tons of fun for me and my kayak fishing enthusiast friends. Shows like i-cast and others that showcase new products are highly anticipated. Last year saw some huuuuge industry announcements. For Hobie, the reverse mirage drive was big. For me, the announcement of the new camo color Hobie Pro Angler 14 got me really excited.
My Hobie Pro Angler 12 is over 3 years old, I love it, but so much has changed, I want a new kayak!
I had a blast rigging my current fishing kayak. Some things worked out well, others I'd do a bit differently next time around. You learn more with each kayak you rig and use. So what are the biggest features and benefits of the new Pro Angler 14 that have me lusting to get one?
1. The camo pattern is just too cool. The pattern on each kayak is unique, I like that. Would I use it for hunting – floating rivers for whitetail or water fowl hunting? Maybe. Would I use to find a honey hole and hide from buddies I'm fishing with...absolutely!
2. Initially I wasn't crazy about the reverse drive. I've had time think about it and I know I'm going to use it, probably a lot. This newer model also has a skeg, which will keep the boat tracking better in windy conditions.
3. The H-Rails on the newer Pro Anglers (versus round rails on mine) go much farther front to back of the kayak, handling the kayak and adding / removing / positioning accessories is easier than ever and mounting positions are greatly expanded. I'll be adding a couple of H-Rail tackle bins to pre-stage a selection of lures on each outing so I am organized and ready. No more lures loose on the deck of the kayak or stopping to hunt down a tackle box.
4. The Hobie H-Crate will make it easier to bring more stuff and keep it organized and strapped to the kayak. Leashes on fish grips, pliers and more will keep everything easy to reach. Plus, I run multiple video cameras. The H-Crate has rails that work with my current camera poles and they will allow me to shoot video from a higher angle.
5. I'll catch more...and BIGGER FISH! Okay, I'm just making this part up. I needed 5 reasons, it's a round number and I need to get purchasing authorization from the head of household finance (you can probably guess who she is).
I'm serious about my fun. I like gear and products that are well made and perform to the max. My current Hobie Pro Angler 12 has been a wonderful boat. But all the advancements in the last 3 years have me wanting the latest and greatest.